Bitumen Testing has found a home with GTSSI
GTSSI has specialized Bitumen Testing Equipment for the asphalt industry. We vet all the equipment that we sell and can walk you through your options to find the best solution.
Automatic Closed-system Asphalt Analyzer
The PAVELAB50® gives the exact measurement of bitumen quantities in hot-mix samples. The bitumen sample can be used in other tests (penetration, softening point, etc.), and the aggregates (including filler) are separated and can be used for sample grading.
The asphalt sample is placed in a washing drum lined with a special mesh designed to separate bitumen and filler from the sample. Solvent and ultrasonic motion is added to ensure complete separation.
The mixture of filler/bitumen/solvent is then centrifuged to separate out the filler. The aggregates and filler are dried by forced air circulation and the residue of solvent is recovered.
The remaining bitumen/solvent solution is distilled and separated into two different tanks. Part of the solution can be drained off before distillation and connected to a flask for use with a rotary evaporator to recover a bitumen sample for other tests. The clean distilled solvent is recycled for other extractions.
*The unit should be connected to a water cooling unit to feed the three different cooling coils of the apparatus.
Fully automatic test cycle:
- Washing of the asphalt sample (up to 3.5 kg) with solvent and ultrasonic motion, with simultaneous heating and rotation of the drum lined with screening mesh.
- High speed extraction centrifuge for separation of filler from binder solution.
- Condensation of solvent vapour in a stainless steel tank including cooling coil, confirming to latest anti-pollution requirements.
- Automatic recovery of solvent by a continuous distillation process.
- Easy binder recovery for future tests such as penetration, softening point, etc.
- Fast connection for rotary evaporatory flask available as option.
- Extraction time reduced to approx. 55 minutes (including drying).
- No toxic fumes in the laboratory conforming to latest anti-pollution requirements.
- 7″ Touch Screen swinging panel.
- Version incorporating a balance for an accurate measurement of asphalt sample (10kg±0.1g) also available.
- High extraction capacity: up to 300g of filler for each extraction.
- Automatic sample drying after extraction.
- Silent operation.
- Maximum Sample Size: 3.5kg
- Centrifuge rotation speed: 6000 rpm
- External cup nominal dimensions: 120 x 200mm (diameter x height)
- Maximum filler capacity: approx. 10 liters (recycled)
- Power rating: 6 kW (excluding water cooling system)
- Overall dimensions: approx. 1400 x 750 x 1500 mm (w x d x h)
- Weight: approx. 240 kg (530 lbs)